Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Quest

Finding things that you need here isn't really that difficult. Well, at least for the most part. I have become quickly adapted to the idea that a store that may seem to carry everything does not have the one item that you are actually looking for. It took us a few days to track down a power strip so that we could use our DVD player. (In our apartment there is only one power outlet on any wall. And although in America there are usually two plugs per outlet, here there is only one. This makes plugging in more than one item interesting.) To start with we did not know what to call the power strip. Names for things here are sometimes quite different than in the U.S. We later found out that the power strip or surge protector was actually called a "spike guard". After we knew this we found them in several stores but it took a few attempts to find a good one. I also have been having a tough time finding a plastic tub so the boys can take a bath. We only have a shower and they are really missing being able to take a bath. Even though I have seen them in our friends apartments, they do not know where they came from.
However, my main quest has been to try to find a reliable way to watch Buckeye football this fall. I was told that there would be no problem finding broadcast of Ohio State football. Unfortunately that is not the case. There is absolutely so way of watching the game on television here. I am really not surprised since we have at least six or seven cricket stations but other sports have only sporadic coverage. My only other option is to try to find a way to watch or listen to the games. With the time difference most of the games will start around 10:30pm. I think I can get the games on iheartradio.com but I am not really sure. My parents have offered to point theirweb cam at the T.V. but I am not really optimistic that this will work. If any one has any ideas please let me know. My quest continues to this day. It will not cease until I can listen to the Buckeyes win the Big Ten again. More to come later.

2 comments:

  1. Are you able to buy any games from ESPN? Greg and Ellyn struggle with watching UM games while in Germany. I will have to ask what they do and let you know. I think they watch them through the computer somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we are working on it as we speak. Tim purchased a Hava box that supposedly will allow me to watch local Columbus TV here in India. I will keep everyone informed

    ReplyDelete