Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Great Orange Juice Flood of 2009

I work at a local Drug Store slash Grocery store in our neighborhood part time. I like working here because it gets me out of the house for a few hours every couple of days. And, the extra money isn't bad as well. Yesterday I was in charge of handling the dairy department of the store. Basically, I have to make sure the milk, eggs and other dairy products are filled and nothing expired is on the shelf. I arrived about five in the afternoon yesterday and went into the cooler to check on something. That was when I discovered that the floor was covered in orange juice. Who ever was there before me decided that stacking cases of O.J. to the ceiling was a good idea.
Really?
One stack fell over and seventeen half gallon cartons of O.J. literally burst open all over everything. It took me over two and a half hours to clean everything up. I had to remove four pallets of product so that I could get our floor machine into the cooler and clean the floors. I am pretty sure that around one hundred fifty dollars in product was wasted between O.J. lost and other products that were pretty much ruined from the juice. I should also add in the time it took me to clean it all up.
Really?
What I find funny is that if a cashier where I work is short in their drawer by even a few dollars, they are required to pay it back. But, I am pretty sure the person that decided to stack the cases of O.J. in the first place will probably not get in trouble at all. I think that he or she should be made to pay it back. It doesnt take a genious to know stacking ten or so cases of juice in a single stack is not a good idea. I am aware that most people do not consider this job the most important in the world, but you should at least take the time to do it right. Instead, I get to spend the majority of my time cleaning up 17 half gallons (or 8 1/2 gallons or 1088 ounces) of O.J. and that's that.

2 comments:

  1. That would be such a pain! I saw the title and thought something happened in your house, so I am glad it was at work and not at home. Still, what a sticky sticky mess! Oh, and as a cashier, I never had to pay back the difference in my drawer, maybe I was never off, though, especially considering how few people use cash for a large amount of groceries these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: the person responsible has not been punished yet. He actually tried to blame me saying I must of dropped 17 half gallons of O.J. Your lucky that you didnt have to pay anything back. I have seen a few cashiers at my store be requested to pay back money that was short

    ReplyDelete